Friday, March 20, 2009

Review: Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

I didn't know what Inkheart was going to be about before I started reading it (and even when I started reading it I still didn't know what it was going to be about!) but I wanted to read it because I'd heard people talking about it and I'd seen posters for the film-adaptation and it just seemed like this could be a book I might really enjoy.

What I found was an increeeeeedibly slooooooww beginning. I swear that nothing excitement happened for the first 100 pages, I kept reading all that time with the faith that surely something amazing was going to happen very shortly and I would be captivating by the awesomeness of it all.

Well, it did pick up after that but I still felt that Inkheart was entirely too long, the length could have been cut in half and a lot of the slower bits could have been condensed. Even the exciting ending seemed to drag a bit for me :(

I'm tempted to say if I were younger I might have enjoyed it more, after all the protagonist, Meggie, is 12 years old. I'm not sure though if the length of the book would have bothered younger readers. I'd be interested to know what experiences other people have had with this book!

However, the book was incredibly well written. The words are written like poetry and the imagery from this book is beautiful. Inkheart is a book within a book about books and a love for the stories and books pours out of the pages.

The fantasy story is about a Meggie who's life changes dramatically when she discovers her father can read the characters out of books.

The climax was built up very well and I was incredibly satisfied with the ending of the story! Everything wrapped up well and I know there are two sequels, Inkspell and Inkdeath but the ending Inkheart didn't suggest anything of what might happen in the next volumes. I think I will read the next book but I'm not going to go out and get it anytime too soon, I need to have a nice rest after Inkheart! :)

I give Inkheart 3.5/5, it's the sort of book I would love to read to young children in small chapter size morsels over a long period of time. I do, however, think it would be a great story to translate into film (to cut out all the slow bits) so I'll probably check out the movie. Has anyone seen the film version?

Have you read it? Tell me what you thought about it, I'd be very interested to know...







12 comments:

  1. U must really have that great of self determination because I gave up on page 24. :p


    But since you think its actually good, I might TRY to pick it up but no guarantees. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard really good things about this series. I kind of want to read it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just couldn't get into this one. I finished it, but I didn't enjoy it very much. I mainly just wanted to read it and see the movie, which I still have yet to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this in when I was younger its slow going but pretty good. Not so fond of the sequels though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was probably the best in the series, but if you like Dustfinger, who is probably one of the best characters ever, definitely read Inkspell. The movie was actually very good, I was surprised. Very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this one and the sequel ages ago and have been wanting to check out the movie. I liked INKSPELL better than INKHEART if I remember correctly. I pretty much agree with your opinion that it's slow to start and nothing really happens for a long time. Yet it's beautifully written.

    One of the reasons I have not bought INKDEATH yet is because I don't know if I like the books enough to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my heavens, I felt EXACTLY the same way. I thought the basic plot idea was brilliant, but the execution lacked so much that I've never been able to get up the gumption to read the next two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this series is great, im yet to read the third one! i actually got really into the first book, even though the series is generally targeted to younger children. ive heard bad reviews about inkdeath, though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book because I love books so much, but I agree that it could have been much shorter. Inkspell is good but I think that Inkheart is the best in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The movie is horrible! it has barely anything to do with the book. I have read the whole series and think that they are very good books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Inkdeath is brilliant. I've read it, and although sometimes I think it's frustrating because someone doesn't know the whole plot, I think it's a very good read. Although I agree that Inkheart had a very slow beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this book too! I've just reviewed it.
    essay policy

    ReplyDelete