Saturday, March 7, 2009

An Interview With Allison van Diepen, Author of Raven!

Today's author interview is with Allison van Diepen, the talented writer of Snitch, Street Pharm and the her newly released book, Raven. Allison, who is a full-time high school teacher, stopped by to talk about being an author and to fill us in about Raven...

To begin with, can you tell us a bit about your latest book, Raven?

Sure. Raven is the story of Nicole, a teen who works underage at a New York City dance club. Nicole is madly in love with Zin, the head of her breakdancing crew, a gorgeous guy with a mysterious past. Nicole believes that she and Zin are like magnet and metal -- destined to be together. But Zin has a very good reason for keeping his distance...

Have you always wanted to be an author?

I've wanted to be an author since I was about twelve -- that's when I fell in love with reading. Writing my own stories was a natural extention of that. A couple of years later, I finished my first manuscript, and I was officially hooked on writing. I promised myself that I would hold on to my goal of becoming a published author, and I did.

Where do you get your inspiration for your stories?

Anywhere and everywhere. Sometimes a character or a premise just pops into my head while I'm listening to music. Other times a story idea comes from the day-to-day issues I'm concerned with; I'm a high school teacher, so I see a lot of real-life teen drama on a regular basis.

What do you think makes a good story?

It's all about believable, real characters. When I read a book, I don't need it to be artfully written, but I do need to care about the characters and what happens to them.


Raven by Allison van Diepen

Do you listen to music when you write?

Oh yes. Music is essential to get me in the mood of a certain scene. For Raven, I listened to dance music for the club scenes, and ballads for the romantic scenes.

Who is your favorite character you've created?

That's incredibly tough, so I'll have to go with my latest love, Zin from Raven. He's got this charisma, this something about him that draws Nicole. And I've already heard from readers that they're falling in love with him.

What other great things can we look forward to from you in the future?

I have two novels coming out in 2010 from Harlequin's new teen line. And I have a great idea for another paranormal and another gritty urban book -- all I need is the time to write them!

Thanks Allison!
Raven by Allison van Diepen is out now! Check it out here on amazon :)
You can also find out more about Allison on her website, http://www.allisonvandiepen.com/








2 comments:

  1. Another great interview Lisa, your blog is so good and provides so much good information. I wish I could have you as a guest on my radio show it would be so call. Perhaps I'll have too look into doing an online recording or something rather than phone.

    Thanks for another great interview

    Storyheart

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    custom book reports

    ReplyDelete