Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Lovely Quote From Inkheart

First of all, I'm sorry I haven't been around much this week! I've been so busy :) I'll make it up to everyone with a super fun-filled week of posts next week!

So, I've just started reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. It's translated from German and I don't know how much of the beauty of the original writing might have been lost in translation but there was something about this sentence that made me stop and savour it...
"It was early dawn when Meggie woke up. Night was fading over the fields as if the rain had washed the darkness out of the hem of it's garment."
Now isn't that just a great mental image?!







10 comments:

  1. I'm only about four or five chapters in and I'm still waiting for something exciting to happen! Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just loved that book. HOpe you do to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inkheart is one of my favorites actually, I'll bet you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this series! I was the same way, it took me until the second novel to really get deep into it, but you will! Enjoy! Happy Reading 8)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adooore these books!!! The film was good too, although after the gorgeous dialogue in the books the film dialogue was a little disappointing... Farid was cute though :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this in German - but the English translation seems to be quite good from what I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've enjoyed this book and I hope you enjoyed it too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inkheart was one of the few books that I don't think loses something in the translating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have almost as much respect for the translator as i do for Ms. Funke herself. it must have been incredibly hard to translate something like that and still make it so incredible beautiful... wow.

    ReplyDelete