I thought I'd make a bit of a game as something fun for everyone :) So I scooped out a pile of books from my bookshelf and wrote out the first lines. Your task is to try and figure out what book the first line is from! (The answers are revealed in the comments)
None of them are too obscure, don't worry! It's actually quite interesting how the first line can set the tone for the entire book...
First Lines Game!
- Once there were four children whose name's were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
- Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house.
- If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
- Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening Hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen.
- I'd never given much thought to how I would die - though I'd had reason enough in the last few months - but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
- The reason Weetzie Bat hated high school was because no one understood.
- Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
- Once upon a time there was a pair of pants.
- There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
- Dad had Uncle Eddie around so naturally they had to come and nose around and see what I was up to.
- It's only half an hour since someone - Robyn, I think - said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes since I got chosen, and for those twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.
- In life, Elizabeth Adora Holland was known not only for her loveliness but also for her moral character, so it was fair to assume in the afterlife she would occupy a lofty seat with an especially good view.
- This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
- Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
- I felt her fear before I heard her screams.
Have a go! The book titles are in the first comment in the comments section, have a look then tell me how you did :)