Wednesday, March 11, 2009

First Lines Game!

I thought I'd make a bit of a game as something fun for everyone :) So I scooped out a pile of books from my bookshelf and wrote out the first lines. Your task is to try and figure out what book the first line is from! (The answers are revealed in the comments)

None of them are too obscure, don't worry! It's actually quite interesting how the first line can set the tone for the entire book...

First Lines Game!
  1. Once there were four children whose name's were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
  2. Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house.
  3. If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
  4. Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening Hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen.
  5. I'd never given much thought to how I would die - though I'd had reason enough in the last few months - but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.
  6. The reason Weetzie Bat hated high school was because no one understood.
  7. Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
  8. Once upon a time there was a pair of pants.
  9. There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
  10. Dad had Uncle Eddie around so naturally they had to come and nose around and see what I was up to.
  11. It's only half an hour since someone - Robyn, I think - said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes since I got chosen, and for those twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.
  12. In life, Elizabeth Adora Holland was known not only for her loveliness but also for her moral character, so it was fair to assume in the afterlife she would occupy a lofty seat with an especially good view.
  13. This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history.
  14. Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
  15. I felt her fear before I heard her screams.

Have a go! The book titles are in the first comment in the comments section, have a look then tell me how you did :)







18 comments:

  1. And the answers are...

    1. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe / C. S Lewis
    2. Coraline / Neil Gaiman
    3. The Bad Beginning / Lemony Snicket
    4. Northern Lights (The Golden Compass) / Philip Pullman
    5. Twilight / Stephenie Meyer
    6. Weetzie Bat (Dangerous Angels) / Francesca Lia Block
    7. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone / JK Rowling
    8. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants / Ann Brashares
    9. Holes / Louis Sachar
    10. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging / Louise Rennison
    11. Tomorrow, When The War Began / John Marsden
    12. The Luxe / Anna Godbersen
    13. The Fellowship of the Ring / Tolkien
    14. Inkheart / Cornelia Funke
    15. Vampire Academy / Richelle Mead


    How many did you guess?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I got most of them right. I still haven't read Weetzie Bat, Sisterhood, Angus, Tomorrow and Coraline though... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I got 7 right (1,2,4,5,7,8,13)and I've only read some of them (1,5,7, & 8).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't get 4, 6, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15. I haven't read those and some of the ones I got right I haven't read. I've just read the epilogue of Twilight, so that's how I got that one.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, that was too easy! And don't give us the answers right off the bat next time! Give us a challengeeeeee! =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this game, but I'm with Steph Su, you should make us wait before you post the answers! Make us squirm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got all the ones from books I've read except for Twilight. How could I miss Twilight?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL you don't want the answers right off?! That would drive me crazy! Fine, next time I will keep everyone in suspense :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got like ten!! I missed Twilight though!! How did I miss Twilight???

    Next time what you should do is let us all like post on our blogs and leave comments with the links so we can compare more fairly. And then like a day or two later, or then next week, tell the answers. This could totally be a weekly thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I was thinking it would make a good weekly thing, like I could post a game up on a Friday and give everyone the weekend to play :) I will try it out next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!!!!!!! Cool, that's gonna be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 9. Holes (got it)
    10. Angus (didnt get it)
    11. Tomorrow, When The War Began (nope)
    12. Luxe(didn't get it)
    13. The Fellowship of the Ring (got it)
    14. Inkheart (got it)
    15. Vampire Academy (got it)

    This is super-fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that was fun! As far as books I had not read, I think sentence 3 is absolutely captivating! I want to read it and I have no idea what the book is about (other than it isn't too happy). Defintely would play again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Series of Unfortunate Events in one of my favourite series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun idea for a game! I sucked at it, but it was still fun. :)

    I just found your blog because I posted a little "first lines" game on my blog and I was curious what other first line posts were out there.

    I'm enjoying reading through your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog.
    online uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the FANTASTIC post! This information is really good and thanks a ton for sharing it. I m looking forward desperately for the next post review.
    custom research

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will right away seize your rss feed as I can't find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me recognize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.

    Here is my blog post: http://www.genwest.com/

    ReplyDelete