Thursday, January 29, 2009

Review: Surrender - Sonya Hartnett

Surrender by Sonya Hartnett is a psychological thriller.. Gabriel, who is still a very young man, is on his death bed. Through Surrender he recounts the haunting and horrific events from his brief life in a small, country town.
In the hills there's many places we call home, hollow trees, wombat holes, shanties I've built using timber filched from the tray of the carpenter's truck.
The book switches perspectives between Gabriel and his dangerous friend, Finnigan, setting up a layered story full of unexpected twists and turns.

Hands down, Surrender is a fantastic book. Gabriel is a flawed protagonist and his story is gruesome and dark. Sonya Hartnett's writing creates a chilling atmosphere that seems to come out of the pages.
We met among trees and on the edges of fields and by the creek where ebony snakes slid under stones; it suited us to meet this way, in wild places, like migrating birds.
I wouldn't recommend it for younger readers, though.. the story is bleak and heartbreaking.

Sonya Hartnett is fast becoming one of my favourite authors and Surrender does not disappoint. I rate it 4/5 Stars!







8 comments:

  1. I've really been wanting to read some of Sonya Hartnett's novels. This one sounds good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gruesome and bleak is excellent! can't say that I ever heard of Hartnett before, but then I live under a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should definitely read anything you can find by Sonya Hartnett! I rarely hear anything about her myself actually.. though I post about her an awful lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!

    Here is my page best registry cleaner

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book has been on my Goodreads to-read shelf for a while. I was not paying attention to the release date every time I looked for it in the bookstore! Haha! I have to wait even longer than I thought to read this, I guess. But damn. Awesome cover!
    essay writing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting me know about this!! I'm going off to check it out.
    Lose Weight

    ReplyDelete