Sunday, March 1, 2009

Happy 105th Birthday, Dr. Suess!

Today would have been Dr. Suess' 105th Birthday.. he's the Google picture of the day. Mr. Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Suess, was a personal favourite of mine as a kid, and still is today. I love the rhymes and the nonsense words and the fun little characters.

My all-time favourite Dr Suess book is The Lorax. Though it's actually quite sad, I'm not entirely sure what appealed to me about it when I was a kid! There is a bit of hope in the end, though :)
'Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.'
- The Lorax


Some parting words from the doctor:
'I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!'
I was never a big fan of The Cat in the Hat. What's your favourite Dr Suess book?







9 comments:

  1. I still have The Foot Book from when I was a kid. I even used to have it memorized!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom banned Dr. Seuss from the house. I never owned one book. The drawings scared her but I would read them when I was at the doctor's office.

    Oh, I've nominated you for an award! Come check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite was Bartholomew and the Oobleck, mostly because of this.

    (Also, I'm a first-time visitor to your blog. It's quite awesome an awesome one :D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved his books when I was little--the Sleep Book and that butter battle one especially!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Springfield, Massachusetts (Dr. Seuss' hometown) and I have to say I feel honored living in the same place that a literary icon is from. (Every time I drive by Mulberry Street, I think, That's where he grew up!) My favorite book is probably "Green Eggs and Ham," just because the concept of green eggs and ham has always intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney, it's very cool that you live in the same city as Dr Suess did :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gaaaah, no offense, but the Lorax scared me so badly when I was a kid. Literally petrified me. Ummm, my favourite. I loved how the Grinch stole Christmas, and I have the song in my head now :P I liked the ABC book, and I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today and Other Stories. I used to have a ton of them, in good condition, too, hardcover, but we left them when we moved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr. Seuss was actually the man who ever got me interested in reading. :) I haven't read tons of his work, but as a kid, I went to my grandmother's a lot and she had some of his books and those are the books that taught my how to read.

    The one's she owned (and will forever be some of my favorite books) are:

    - The Cat in the Hat (though the cat really actually pissed me off, even as a kid)
    - Fox in Socks
    - Green Eggs & Ham
    - How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    - Marvin K. Mooney, Will You Please Go Now!

    ReplyDelete