Monday, May 18, 2009

Review: Marked by P.C. and Kristin Cast

Marked by P.C. and Kristin Cast is (yet another, hehe) vampire book and while I have been reading a lot of vampire books lately I am not getting bored of them! Marked is the first book in The House of Night series and is about Zoey Redbird, a 16 year old girl who is 'marked' to become a vampyre and must go to 'The House of Night' a school for fledgling vampyres... or else she will die. At her new school Zoey quickly finds out she is different than the others, she has great powers and a bloodlust well beyond her years. Taking a unique approach, the vampyres in Marked worship the goddess Nyx and focuses on the occult.

The writing style of this book really appealed to me. It seemed quite opinionated and had a lot of attitude :) The book is written by P.C Cast and her daughter, Kristin Cast, and clearly the mother-and-daughter writing team works very well! I'd be very interested to find out more about their collaboration (they've gone on to write many more books in the series).

The characters in Marked are very likeable (with the obvious exception of Aphrodite who we love to hate). Zoey is a smart, strong protagonist and her group of friends are varied and interesting.

Marked has a fast moving pace which kept me very interesting, I found it very hard to put this book down. Though the final scenes in the book seemed to come about, and end, a little too fast. The book ended with a lot of purposely unanswered questions - so I'm definitely looking forward to finding out what will happen to Zoey in the future.

Easily one of my favourite books of the year!

Marked is available now in Australia from Hachette - you can find out more here.








13 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this too. It was such an individual take on vampire lore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one too. I still haven't finished Haunted, I just can't, I'm sorry but it is seriously boring. :( I hope you enjoy the rest of the series though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not into Vampire books, but I did want to drop a note to say that I like the structure & appearance of your blogspot.

    Beth Fehlbaum, author
    Courage in Patience, a story of HOPE..
    http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
    Ch. 1 is online!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this book is so good my mom said i could read it so yah its really good

    ReplyDelete
  5. im gonna have a read and see what i think it looks good

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to say it but, I really didn't like this book so much so that after forcing myself to even get to chapter 15, I gave up on it. I couldn't get into the way in which it was written. I was a little disappointed as it's the first vampire book I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ur wrong finish the book then try to write a summery if you cant write one then dont continue the series if you can write on then u secretly enjoyed the books! :]

      Delete
  7. i have to do a book prject on this :( :\

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is one of the best articles that I have ever seen!
    Thanks a lot for a bunch of good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've read the book, and seriously, it isn't as bad as i was expecting it to be. It was rather an exciting read. Yeah, it got a bit boring at times, so i just flipped a page and started reading again.
    but it was good. and i love the review, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Primary focus of our company is on providing custom written essays. It is our aim to provide you with personalized academic assistance in preparing dissertation proposals, theses, literature reviews, MBA projects or reports.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read The Selection. Thanks a lot for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete