Sunday, May 3, 2009

Review: Willow by Julia Hoban

Willow by Julia Hoban is about 17 year-old Willow, struggling to deal with her feelings of guilt and grief over her parents death. Willow attempts to deal with her pain by secretly cutting herself. When one day Willow's secret is accidentally revealed to Guy, he feels morally obliged to help Willow and the two form a strong relationship without secrets.

Throughout Willow we are brought along on Willow's painful journey with an all-access pass. Julia Hoban doesn't shy away from showing the reader the reality of cutting instead of obscure references or hinting. The result is a very confronting and emotional book that is definitely not for younger readers or the easily shocked.

Willow is a strong, powerful book that shows us both personal destruction and the redemptive power of love and friendship. I highly recommend it!







11 comments:

  1. I read this as well and really really liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I don't know if I will read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'm really eager to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved this book!!! i recomend it to almost everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had high expectations for this book. the writing is so powerful and genuine, the characters are complex and despite the depressing and painful subject matter of the book, the storyline was uplifting and inspirational. willow is a five star book and i recommend it to those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A-MAZE-ING!!!!
    i hate reading absolutly hate it and when i first picked this book up i couldnt put it down. this is by far the best book i have ever read in my life (even though im only 17) i would recommend this book to EVERYBODY!!!!
    <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book was amazing! I highly recommend that you read it! It's as if you know the characters. By the way, I am 13 years old and the book wasn't "scary". But, I think this book would be a shock to anyone younger then me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate reading but I had to read a book for my englsih Isu. so my friend read this book so I thought mabye i should just ask her for help so I don't have to read it. But when I started reading I couldn't stop reading its so interesting and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For starters I'm 12 and this book was immensely compfotering I self harm and I've only read the first 3 chapters of this book and it was incredible. It wasn't horrifying or even shocking. I picked it up last year and put it back down because there were other books I needed to read and people were getting subspiciois. My email is nodyarg@ sbcglobal.net if anyone needs help or wants to give help. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this cool stuff... here with us mate my pleasure to being here on your blog...!
    ----------------------------------
    plagiarism free

    ReplyDelete
  11. ӏt's actually very difficult in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, thus I just use internet for that purpose, and take the hottest information.

    Also visit my web page - wireless frontier internet wfri

    ReplyDelete