Saturday, April 4, 2009

Review: The Lucky Ones by Tohby Riddle

Look! I'm finally reviewing an Australian book! See the bridge?! See!! And it's not a girly book! Amazing :)

The Lucky Ones by Tohby Riddle takes place in Sydney in the 80s. Tom is out of high school and going to art school, just kind of meandering along in life. His best friend is Cain, who is needy and troubled and very interesting. He's interested in Kara, but is too shy to do much about it.

The book is really laid back, not that it doesn't go anywhere (plenty happens!), just that it doesn't make you feel like you need to rush to any destination. It reads a bit like a memoir, everything's believable, it's like Tom is just filling us in on all these things that happen, telling it like it is. He makes keen observations and expresses things in really interesting ways.

I kept trying to imagine how these events could possibly have happened. I mean, one minute Cain and I are joking about our awkwardness with this girl, and the next minute he's catching the late bus to see her on a wild stormy night. It sounded like something from a Bronte sisters novel. What was Cain doing in a Bronte sisters novel?

As I mentioned above, this book has guy-appeal! Written by a male with a male persepective (but it's perfectly fine for the ladies too). I don't seem to ever see that many YA books for guys that aren't fantasy so I am pleased that this one is so great. It's also quite witty! I laughed quite a few times throughout the book.

I particularly liked the setting, Australia in the 80s, the book has an amazing atmosphere. (Plus the boys crash a Bob Dylan press conference, well worht reading!)

It was a fantastic read, especially if you're looking for something that's not generic and might make you think a little outside the box. I give it 4/5 stars :)

You can check out Tohby Riddles website at www.tohby.com.







8 comments:

  1. Can you get this in the U.S. or do you have to order it online or something? I really really want to read it, it sounds amazing.

    Great review!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure its only available in Australia at this point. You can order online here http://dymocks.com.au/ProductDetails/ProductDetail.aspx?R=9780143005698

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quote and I love thinking outside the box, so I am putting this one on the list! Man, the TBR list is way too long. I need to learn how to read faster! lol

    I gave you an award, too, which you can check out and pick up here: http://imlostinbooks.blogspot.com/2009/04/ive-been-awarded.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to read this. NICE review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This an interesting approach.
    Thank you for sharing to us.
    Please one more post about that..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book has been on my Good reads to-read shelf for a while. I was not paying attention to the release date every time I looked for it in the bookstore! Haha! I have to wait even longer than I thought to read this, I guess. But damn. Awesome cover!
    ---------------------------
    plagiarism free

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I initially left a comment I seem to havе clicked the
    -Notify me when new comments arе addеԁ- checkbox and nоω еvеrу time
    а сomment іs addeԁ Ι геcieve four emаils with thе same comment.
    There has to be an eаsy mеthod уou can rеmoѵe mе from that ѕeгνicе?
    Many thаnks!

    Here is my webѕite :: frontier internet service moline il

    ReplyDelete