Monday, January 12, 2009

Verse Novels: Where Poetry And Novels Combine

Verse novels are a type of narrative poetry where the story is told in the form of poetry instead of prose. I'm currently reading Psyche In A Dress by Francesca Lia Block and it's a verse novel... I'm not always a huge fan of them but I'm enjoying this one (I'll post a review when I'm finished reading it).

Sometimes I feel verse novels come across as a bit careless, like the author is just adding line breaks and cutting out words so the story takes the form of poetry but it doesn't necessarily read as good poetry.

Some other verse novels I've read are Lonesome Howl by Steven Herrick a suspenseful adventure about two families living in the country, and What Does Blue Feel Like? by Jessica Davidson about a girl's struggle with depression, both Australian authors.



What's your opinion on verse novels? Love them? Hate them? Got a good one to recommend?






7 comments:

  1. Hi! I don't necessarily have one to recommend, but I really liked this blog post and I am interested in the books that you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not my usual thing, but I have read a couple. One good one is Heartbeat by Sharon Creech, and somewhere in my room is a book I won called Trash that's written in verse that I have yet to read but still looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Laina, thanks for the recommendations! I'm going to try and find those titles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem. :) Trash, by the way, is by Sharon Darrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon Darrow's Trash is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book too! I've just reviewed it
    college essays

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve been looking for these, thanks! I think all of this info are so helpful.
    essay help

    ReplyDelete